Welcome to ISGT 2022
This year’s theme for the Thirteenth Conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT 2022) is “Moving to a 3-D Energy Landscape: Decarbonized, Democratized, Decentralized”, sponsored by the IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES). Please note this important change: It will be held April 24 – 28, 2022. The Organizing Committee has made the decision to hold ISGT NA 2022 as in in person, face-to-face, meeting co-located with the IEEE PES T&D Conference and Exposition in New Orleans, LA. We look forward to seeing you at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans. Information with regard to Venue & Accommodation will soon be updated under Travel. For additional information about this change is available here.
ISGT 2022 Tracks
The Conference will feature keynote and plenary sessions, panel sessions, and technical papers presented in poster sessions, as well as pre-conference tutorials. The conference is organized in three tracks: 1) Decarbonization of the grid, including renewable and DER technologies; 2) Grid democratization including technologies and tools for broad active participation; and 3) decentralized and distributed decision and control while maintaining grid reliability and resilience.
The tracks include the following general topics:
Track 1: Technologies and processes for grid decarbonization
- Environmental issues and regulations
- Renewable energy technologies
- New DER technologies
- Platforms and systems supporting grid integration with high DER adoption
- Reliability and resilience considering a changing relationship between the bulk power system and distribution systems
- Operational metrics for a decarbonized grid
- Power electronics and inverter-based resources
- Energy storage
- Verification and validation of new technologies
Track 2: Technologies and processes for democratized participatory grid
- Innovative grid architecture
- Distribution markets and system platforms (DSP, DSO, etc.)
- Smart transportation that integrates electrification and digitization including automated and electric vehicles (EVs) and EV charging infrastructure
- Smart buildings including measuring energy use, pinpointing operations and maintenance problems, automating lighting and thermostats, and tracking building performance.
- Transactive Energy Systems and emerging hardware/software technologies (Internet of Things-IoT, Blockchain, etc.) as well as tradable products, and incentive-compatible market design
- Synthetic inertia from inverter-based generation, and their interface with customer’s EMS
- Applications of Big Data, advanced analytics and artificial intelligence techniques
- New regulatory and business models
- Grid cybersecurity
- New planning processes that incorporate additional objectives such as decarbonization, resilience and energy equity
Track 3: Decentralized and distributed decision and control technologies
- Edge computing, control, and analytics
- Smart controls and sensors in end-use devices
- Smart Cities grid interactions such as Smart Street Lighting, and data analytics that analyze data generated by sensors and monitors to monitor and manage energy use, pedestrian safety, traffic flows, air quality
- Coordination of distributed, grid-edge functionality
- Distributed systems and architectures for grid control
- Autonomous grid control technologies
- Opportunities for convergence with related areas, for example, with Internet of Things
- DER modeling, forecasting, and flexible loads
- Provision of grid services from grid edge assets and systems
- Emerging substation and distribution automation technologies (advanced FLISR, Volt-VAR Optimization, outage management, restoration, etc.)
- Applications of augmented reality in the power industry
- Testbeds, datasets
Update – April 4, 2022 – Information for Poster Presenters:
Update – March 15, 2022 – IEEE PES T&D Expo Reminder
Just a reminder that 2022 ISGT NA is co-located with the 2022 IEEE PES T&D Expo and ISGT attendees will have full access to the T&D Expo exhibits and presentations. Details about the T&D Expo are available at its website.
Update – January 16, 2002 – Conference Delay and Change of Venue
The organizing committee has exciting news regarding ISGT NA 2022. The PES and Conference leadership have decided to co-locate this year’s conference at the award-winning, and largest conference in the PES portfolio, the T&D Conference and Exposition! This change is in response to the ongoing surge of infections from the Omicron variant of COVID-19 and concerns many of you have expressed regarding safety of travel, conference attendance and travel restrictions. Our goal is to be abundantly cautious and allow additional time for travel restrictions and concerns to lessen.
ISGT NA 2022 will now take place from April 24 – 28, 2022 in New Orleans, LA at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. The ISGT organizing committee is working closely with our PES T&D counterparts to coordinate the two events. We will maintain a separate ISGT identity with space specifically dedicated to the ISGT conference. We will have a separate registration and are happy to tell you that ISGT attendees will also be able to participate in the PES T&D conferences and exhibition space. Your ISGT registration will provide you access to both conferences at no additional charge. When so many things are being taken away, we are pleased to give something more to our valued ISGT NA attendees.
With this change, there are several benefits to ISGT attendees that are noteworthy:
- Though ISGT NA will have physically separate meeting space from T&D; the ISGT NA registered attendees will have full access to the T&D Exhibition floor and other T&D events with no additional charge. Likewise, T&D registered attendees will have full access to ISGT NA.
- The registration fees for ISGT NA are being reduced to match the T&D conference where they are higher and remain unchanged where they are lower. Those who have already registered at the higher ISGT NA rate will receive a refund for the difference.
- There will be expanded networking opportunities for ISGT attendees through joint receptions with the T&D meeting.
- This is a huge opportunity for the ISGT attendees to also attend T&D technical sessions and take advantage of the excellent technical program that the local utility, Entergy, has put together.
Please note that ISGT NA 2022 does not accommodate remote live participation. That has not changed with the new conference venue in April in New Orleans. We know that some authors and panelists had indicated their inability to attend the ISGT event in Washington D.C in February, along with travel restriction justification from their government agencies or employer organizations. We had agreed that for the papers to be published on IEEE Explore, and for the panel presentations to be played during the panel sessions, those authors and panelists must (1) record their respective 5-minute and 15-minute presentations following the instructions communicated to them individually, (2) upload the videos to the conference website to locations identified for them, and (3) pay at least the on-day registration fee for the day of their presentation. With the change of venue, we are hoping some of those authors and panelists may get relief from travel restrictions imposed by their governments and/or organizations, and will be able to attend the conference in person. Should you fall in this category, please advise us as soon as possible. Otherwise, please proceed with items (1), (2), and (3) above, and let us know if you have any questions (please note that the deadline for uploading the pre-recorded videos is extended to March 28, 2022).
We are still working on the details of co-locating ISGT with IEEE T&D in April in New Orleans. Please bear with the ISGT NA organizing committee as we work out the details in coordination with our IEEE T&D counterparts.
Update – November 15, 2021 – Conference Registration Now Open
Registration for the 2022 IEEE ISGT NA is now open at Registration. For those requiring them, visa letters are available for download after registration is completed. Prior to registering we encourage you to review the conference’s COVID-19 Precautions.
Information on reserving rooms at the conference hotel in the discounted room block are available under the Travel menu.
Notification of Paper Session Acceptance: October 31, 2021
The Power & Energy Society values diversity and inclusion across all activities. This diversity and inclusion will lead to more creative, interesting and representative scientific and engineering information within the electric power and energy field of interest. Authors who anticipate inability to travel to a PES sponsored conference because of a government-imposed travel restriction are still encouraged to submit papers. Such papers will be reviewed and accepted on their own merit for publication in Conference Proceedings, without any knowledge of the author’s travel restriction. Within one week of paper acceptance notification, travel-restricted authors must notify the Technical Program Chair of the conference with proof of their restriction. Substitute presenters may be possible or, depending on conference resources, other accommodations may be available, such as a remote presentation or pre-recorded video.
Update June 25, 2021 – Conference Format will be In Person
The safety and well-being of all conference participants is our priority. IEEE continues to monitor the status of the COVID-19 pandemic (Coronavirus).
The Organizing Committee has been working with IEEE to assess the likely situation in February 2022 and has made the decision to hold ISGT 2022 as an in person meeting.
Please contact Kathy Heilman at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Ron Melton, Conference Chair